Dukan Diet – Every person involved in the industry of health and fitness understands the value of diets. Since digitalization, a lot of people have started eating more junk food and sitting in their homes. It has become one of the biggest reasons for obesity in the United States.
But the trend is changing once again as More and more people are joining the fitness industry to become fit and get famous on these social media platforms. It is not an easy task to become fit without following a proper diet plan.
Your diet must contain Calories according to your goal, and it should also be filled with micronutrients to keep your organs healthy. It is one thing to look good, and then you feel good with healthy body parts.
Today, we have selected the Dukan Diet, And we are going to explore it. We will also address your important queries, such as can you lose weight using Dukan Diet or can you gain muscle using Dukan Diet. So without wasting any more time, let’s get started.
What is the Dukan Diet?
Dukan Diet Is a very famous low carb, high protein weight loss program which was created by a former French physician. The diet was created back in 1970 by doctor Pierre Dukan.
Back in the 1970s, it was very hard for people to lose weight by following a diet because most of the diets included low carb but small portions without focusing much on protein.
Doctor Pierre Dukan focused on lowering the hunger levels in their patients by shifting the focus on lean protein sources. Starting from the 1970s to the 1990s, doctor Pierre Dukan took 20 years to fine-tune the diet, and in the year 2000, he published a book named Dukan Diet.
Unlike most diets in the world, the Dukan Diet will provide you with a specific list of food items that you are allowed to eat in different phases of your diet. All of these food items are going to focus on lean protein sources and fat-free dairy.
What can you eat in the Dukan diet?
As you are already aware, the Dukan diet is mostly going to focus on low-fat, protein-rich food items. That is why it allows you to eat 68 low-fat, protein-rich food items in the first phase and 32 non-starchy vegetables during the second phase.
Protein-rich food items are more filling than carbohydrates, and they offer fewer calories than fat. Apart from that, the Dukan diet also demands physical activity. You can choose any exercise, including walking, taking the stairs or running.
- During the first ten days, which is the attack phase, you will eat lean protein along with 1.5 tablespoons of oat bran and at least six cups of water every day.
- In the second phase, which is the cruise phase and can last several months, you can add unlimited amounts of non-starchy veggies and two tablespoons of oat bran along with your lean protein sources.
- During your consolidation phase, which comes after you have already lost a couple of pounds, you are allowed to eat veggies plus one piece of fruit along with two slices of whole-grain bread and some cheese.
- The final or stabilization phase of the Dukan diet is all about maintenance, and you can eat whatever you like for one day a week when you are following all protein rules from the first phase. You should walk at least 20 minutes a day and eat three tablespoons of oat bran.
If you want to consume sugar-free gum, spices, unsweetened coffee, or artificial sweetness, you are allowed to do it. At the same time, you can also enjoy a glass of wine per day during the consolidation and stabilization phases.
Foods to include and avoid in Dukan Diet
Different phases of the Dukan Diet have different foods, and you should follow all of these food items to get the best possible results.
The Attack Phase is the first phase which is based on high-protein foods plus a few extras that provide minimal calories.
- Lean beef, veal, venison, bison, and other game
- Lean pork
- Poultry without skin
- Liver, kidney, and tongue
- Fish and shellfish (all types)
- Non-fat dairy products such as milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, and ricotta are No more than 32 ounces or one kilogram.
- Tofu and tempeh
- Seitan, a meat substitute made from wheat gluten
- At least 6.3 cups (1.5 liters) of water per day (mandatory)
- 1.5 tablespoons (9 grams) of oat bran daily (mandatory)
- Unlimited artificial sweeteners, shirataki noodles, and diet gelatin
- Small amounts of lemon juice and pickles
- One teaspoon (5 ml) of oil daily for greasing pans
This is the second phase of that diet, and you can alternate it will lean protein one day and non-starchy veggies the next day, along with two tablespoons of oat bran every day.
- Spinach, kale, lettuce, and other leafy greens
- Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts
- Bell peppers
- Green beans
- Onions, leeks, and shallots
- Spaghetti squash
- One serving of carrots or beets daily
- Two tablespoons (12 grams) of oat bran daily (mandatory)
- No other vegetables or fruits are permitted. Other than one teaspoon (5 ml) of oil in salad dressing or for greasing pans, no fat should be added.
It is the third phase, and everyone is advised to mix and match food from the western first and second phases.
- For fruit items, you can go with One serving of fruit per day, such as 1 cup of berries or chopped melon; one medium apple, orange, pear, peach, or nectarine; or two kiwis, plums, or apricots.
- For bread, you can go with Two slices of whole-grain bread per day, with a small amount of reduced-fat butter or spread.
- You can also have One serving of cheese which is around1.5 ounces or 40 grams per day.
- You should add 1–2 servings of starches per week, such as 8 ounces or 225 grams of pasta and other grains, corn, beans, legumes, rice, or potatoes.
- For meat items, you can go with Roast lamb, pork, or ham 1–2 times per week.
- You should have one pure protein day per week, where only foods from the Attack Phase are allowed.
- You should have 2.5 tablespoons or 15 grams of oat bran daily.
The Stabilization Phase is the final phase of the Dukan diet. In this phase, you should focus on maintaining and improving your diet.
- You should keep having one pure protein meal day every week.
- Never take the elevator or escalator when you can take the stairs, and always complete at least 10,000 steps.
- Oat bran is your friend, and you should Take three tablespoons or 17.5 grams every day.
How safe is the Dukan Diet?
Previously people thought that a high protein diet could affect kidney functioning, which was later rejected by scientists. A high protein diet is not going to damage your kidney, but you should be very careful while going on any diet.
Generally, health experts prefer the Dukan Diet to those who don’t have any pre-existing health conditions which can get worse due to food items included in the diet.
If you already have any pre-existing health conditions, then you should avoid the Dukan Diet. Especially people already suffering from diabetes, kidney diseases, or heart diseases should stay away from the diet.
The diet is full of protein sources, and it can affect the functioning of the kidney in people who are already suffering from kidney diseases.
The diet does not focus much on fiber, and it can become one of the biggest reasons for Constipation, bad breath, and tiredness. If you want to follow the diet, then you should consult with your healthcare provider.
Always follow the Dukan Diet under the strict observance of health care specialists. There is no doubt that the Dukan Diet can be very beneficial for losing weight, but it can also cause several complications.
How much weight can I gain using the Dukan diet?
There are different phases in the Dukan diet, and as per the proponents, the diet can help you lose up to four to six pounds in the first week, which is the attack phase, and around 2 pounds a week during the cruise phase. Even most health experts believe in the world that you can lose around 1 to 2% of your overall body weight each week. You should not expect more than 2%.
How long is the consolidation phase in the Dukan diet?
As per the book released by the doctor Pierre Dukan, The consolidation phase depends on how many pounds you have already lost. If you have already lost 20 pounds, then your consolidation phase is going to be 100 days. You can simply multiply your pounds by five days, and you will come up with your consolidation phase.